Eudunda Stormwater Capture and CWMS Upgrade
Project background and challenges
- Small farming community in the midNorth of South Australia.
- Existing Community Wastewater Management System (CWMS) installed in the 1970’s – ageing infrastructure.
- Inadequate stormwater detention leading to frequent flash flooding of large township areas.
- Basic wastewater treatment capability – facultative lagoon • Underutilisation of stormwater and wastewater resource.
- Excessive consumption of potable water for irrigation and limited volumes available – reduced amenity value.
- Complicating factors such as works scheduling, existing infrastructure, road design and budget.
Scope, solutions and results
- New stormwater detention dam by Council. HDS proposed interception of this for diversion to winter storage.
- New pump station, wastewater treatment plant, 20 ML winter storage facility and replacement/upgrade of rising main.
- Project planning, options proposal and scheduling of works allowed for overall implementation cost reduction.
- Increased water resource and new irrigation opportunities.
- Telemetry link allows for reliable measurement and pond level management.
- Multi-discipline approach by HDS allowed for re-design of road intersection and optimisation of intercept sump location.