Peterborough Stormwater Capture and Re-Use
Project background and challenges
- Historically important railway hub with a modern focus as a tourist destination, hosting several annual community events.
- Located in a shallow valley and close to a range of hills, contributing significant run-off volumes.
- Clay lined storage pond and ageing stormwater channel in severe state of disrepair.
- Low grade usage of collected water (dust suppression and construction).
- Wasted resource and excessive losses in stormwater channel.
- Excessive consumption of potable and bore water for irrigation.
Scope, solutions and results
- Successful tender, contract and overall project management.
- Design and superintendency role for the upgrade of the stormwater system.
- Sourcing and utilisation of cost effective materials and techniques for concrete repair and drain surface improvement.
- Increased water resource and new irrigation opportunities.
- Improved management of local pond levels.
- Reduction in potable and bore water consumption, hence substantial cost saving.