Tulka Community Wastewater Management System
Project background and challenges
- Tulka is a small coastal community on the Eyre Peninsula.
- Located on an ecologically sensitive marine area.
- Existing Pump Stations were leaking and pump run times were inefficient.
- There were concerns about the integrity of the septic tanks and the potential for them to leak into the ocean.
- The undulating terrain and cap limestone cause potential problems.
- Existing Wastewater Treatment Plant is inefficient and requires constant maintenance.
- No water source for local park and existing woodlot irrigation system faulty.
Scope, solutions and results
- Successful tender, contract and overall project management.
- Design and on-site superintendency provided for the construction phase.
- New WWTP installed to reduce costs and maintenance requirements.
- Cost effective design provided which incorporates gravity and pressure to minimise construction costs.
- Pump Stations upgraded to current standards.
- Irrigation connections to local park provided and woodlot irrigation improved.
- Removal of the potential for septic tanks to leak into marine environment.