Transforming four local road hot spots with safety improvements
Baw Baw Shire Council together with Victorian Government Safe Travel in Local Streets (STILS) program have recently completed road safety improvements at four locations in Drouin following investigation and design undertaken by HDS Australia.
In 2019, HDS Australia assisted Council to apply for funding of two roundabouts and pedestrian crossing improvements along Hopetoun Road and Young Street. HDS Australia then undertook detailed design works in 2020. The projects are designed to improve safety and amenity in local communities by transforming roads and intersections that are high risk or have high crash history.
The works involved:
Intersection of Young Street/Hopetoun Road in Drouin
- Construction of a new roundabout;
- Installation of new crash protection cushions around power poles;
- Improved median island and pedestrian refuge;
- Safer and more efficient street lighting upgrades.
Intersection of Hopetoun Road/Buln Buln Road in Drouin
- Construction of a new concrete roundabout;
- New semi-mountable median splitter islands with safer pedestrian refuges;
Safer and more efficient street lighting upgrades.