Bolivar Road Upgrade
In August 1998, HDS Australia was engaged by the City of Salisbury, SA to design and document 800 metres of Bolivar Road. Residential development in the area adjacent to Bolivar Road and the construction of the Paralowie shopping centre meant the existing road was deemed to be too narrow to cope with the estimated 8900 vehicles per day.
The key aspects of the project were:
- Provision of roundabouts at the junctions with Liberator Drive and Bermudez Crescent to cater for additional traffic;
- The improvement of stormwater management by the use of kerb and gutter, together with appropriately placed side entry pits;
- The improved management of the 1 in 100 year flood event by developing adequate flow paths along the roadway and the provision of a floodway across the Little Para overflow channel; and
- The provision of footpaths and the upgrading of the existing pedestrian crossing.
Skills HDS Australia utilised to successfully deliver the project included:
- Project management;
- Planning and concept development;
- Community consultation processes;
- Liaison with relevant authorities;
- Preliminary and detailed geometric design using the MOSS (now MX) computer package; and
- Street lighting and drainage design.