Tintinara Community Wastewater Management System Re-use
Project background and challenges
- Township of Tintinara located on the Dukes Highway 188km south east of Adelaide.
- The Tintinara CWMS was built in 1977 with a gravity pipe collection network and pumped transfer to a treatment lagoon.
- Significant sludge build-up, leading to winter season overflows into an inadequate evaporation basin.
- Receiving basin causing health and environmental concerns.
- Project design focus was around remediation of the treatment lagoon or significant reduction of inflows.
- Wasted resource – lagoon losing all water to evaporation and seepage.
- Recent drought had raised community awareness of the potential resource for irrigation of communal areas.
Scope, solutions and results
- A “sewer mining” approach was adopted – diversion of a specified daily volume to a new treatment plant, with excess to the lagoon for evaporation.
- Reduced reliance on town bore for irrigating the town oval.
- Reduced inflow to the lagoon with no wet season overflow – health and environmental issues resolved.